Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Rejected

My job is to change people's minds. My job is to pry people away from their most prized possession. My job is to convert people to believers. And my job is to be rejected.

It hurts after a while. I get tired of the words cutting through me. "No, I don't want it." "No, it's not for me." "No, it isn't worth it." "No." I know other people have harder jobs, and I know people aren't rejecting me as a person, but it still hurts. I think that's the simple reason why I can't stand this job anymore. I'm tired of the rejection.

I think it's important as an employee to be valued. I work from home now. I speak to my boss maybe once a week. But I see customers every day, and I see the slump of their shoulder when I walk in the door. I see their eyes wander as they look at anything but me. I hear the aggravation in their voices at the interruption to their important days. I let it get to me, and I know I shouldn't. It's just draining being rejected every day. I wish I were selling something that made people excited to see me. Like cake. I wish I sold cake. At least if I didn't sell anything that day I would have a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment